Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Food Inc 2, paper argument

Food Inc. continues to "wow" me with its abundance of facts about all of the horrid actions taking place in our food industry. From the way we harvest crops, to the way campaigns are funded, I have yet to see a true bright spot thus far. One part in particular that bothered me was finding out all the pesticides that are sprayed over our produce during harvesting. I understand their cause is to keep bugs off them while helping them grow faster, but is it really worth it if fruits and vegetables we consume are just going to give us cancer in the long run? I know it is a repetitive theme to keep hearing, but I really do wish people could take at least one step away from the "profiting" part of life and take another step towards improving life itself before it is too late. At one point or another, this food production executives are going to be pioneers in turning around our food industry works. If just one can change their way of production, moving away from what makes the utmost profit, to what is healthier and still makes a profit, then it can begin a trend that hopefully other companies may follow.

For my research argument paper I have decided to side with going more paper efficient as opposed to not doing so to preserve the benefits that come with not doing so. I believe that the costs of doing so are so much more valuable not only to our pockets, but to the well being of the environment. I think it will be easier and more applicable to produce because the reasons for getting rid of it are directly related to the worlds current global issues of oil consumption, global warming, and deforestation. I will focus in on the direct economic and environmental cost of each issue that comes with the mass consumption of paper. There certainly is no shortage of information to back my argument for using drastically less paper. Once put together, I believe i will have sufficiently put together an argument for a more paper efficient college campus and organizational setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment