Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Research Prospectus Addition, Forest Presentation

After realizing that my topic is potentially too specific, I have decided to add one more factor to this environmental situation to research. I am going to talk about cost and amount of oil it takes to transport paper documents as opposed to documents transported electronically. From here I will research the fuel costs of airplanes as well as mail trucks and courier services and compare that to the rest of the nations oil consumption costs.

David Maywhoor's presentation was interesting as well. Coming into the class I had no idea about prescriptive burning. With forest fires always being an issue I didn't understand why we would induce them. What if it got out of control? That just didn't a whole lot of sense too me. Another part of the presentation I found interesting was his story about people just sitting up in the trees so that workers could not cut them down. I thought it was a brilliant idea even though it was failure in that they were actually arrested and put in jail. At the same time, it is nice to see that some people in this world care that much to do such a thing.

1 comment:

  1. Sue of fuel adds to it, but you should expand to include the environmental impact of paper itself, the trees, the pollution from paper mills, and so on.

    ReplyDelete